Sunday, 11 May 2014

Trying to find a hospital job


So one of the very important goals I would really like to accomplish this gap year is to find a job in a hospital. Most medicine applicants on a gap year tend to apply for healthcare assistant (HCA) jobs in hospitals but there are other jobs like porters which can be found. HCAs work under the guidance of qualified healthcare professionals (most commonly nurses) and their roles may also vary depending on the health care setting.

I started applying for jobs after I finished my A Levels (June 2013) but I really should have started earlier because these jobs take time to come by. I couldn't apply for an HCA job or a care assistant job in a care home because I wasn't 18 yet. I finally was able to find a job as a general assistant in a nursing home and I have been working there for a while now. The job involves cleaning residents' rooms, toilets, offices, working in the laundry and also assisting in the kitchen. The best part of the job for me is chatting with the residents and making them smile even if it's just for a second because their families can't be with them all the time. It is not too bad for a first job but I think I will be better off working in a hospital. The experience would help me update my personal statement and also give me something more to talk about at the university interviews.

I have been stalking the NHS website since the very second I decided to apply again. The thing about these jobs is when you see one and you know it's what you're looking for, just apply for it immediately. There is no point wasting time coz they might not be there the next minute. It doesn't matter if the closing date is still far off. Employers can make the closing date earlier.

So far, I have been able to find 2 HCA jobs in a hospital close to where I live. The first one is for the Sexual and Reproductive Unit but it's only 5 hours a week- on Saturday. The other one which I have applied for is for the Outpatient Department. All the others require you to have had at least 1 year experience :( I am still on the look out though and I'll keep applying as soon as a good one comes up. I just really hope I can get one before I apply in October.