Sunday, 25 May 2014

YOLO


I had an experience this week which got me thinking about our mortality.
A few days ago, I woke up to go to work and it was a sunny day. It was one of those days when you feel it's just going to be a good day because you're happy :D I went to work in high spirits and I was ready to just get on with it.

I was upstairs in the residential section. I always put my trolley infront of the room I'm cleaning so I can get things from it easily. The door of the room I was about to clean was shut. Normally, if the doors are shut then that means there's someone in there with the resident and there's a sign outside which says "occupied". The sign didn't say "occupied" this time so I knocked on the door and opened it. I found the resident lying on the bed and there was no one else in the room so I thought "Oh she's asleep. I'm just gonna do my thing quickly and quietly and get out so I don't wake her up."

Just before I entered the room I could hear someone crying in one of the offices around the corner and one of the nurses was trying to comfort her. I didn't know what was going on but I continued to do my job so I went into the room. When I got close to the resident, I noticed she looked pale. Then I was like "Well she looks very still when she's asleep" I turned around and saw a stethoscope on the table and I was like "That is a really nice stethoscope." I was even thinking about trying it on later. Not that I'm allowed to but I was thinking it.

As I went out of the room to my trolley I met one of the carers outside and she waved me towards her. Then she whispered and said " Oh you don't have to worry about cleaning that room. We just found out that the resident has passed away." Then immediately it hit me. The door was shut coz she was dead. The woman crying was obviously a relative. The stethoscope had been used to confirm her death. She was pale and still. Of course she was dead. Silly me. I still cannot believe I was more interested in the stethoscope.

I didn't know this woman very well but I heard she was healthy. She was perfectly fine the night before. She didn't complain of any pains or anything. She just slept and never woke up the next morning so I can really imagine how shocked and heartbroken the relatives were.

Death, I know is something no one likes talking about but even though we don't like talking about it, we do think about it. It is somewhere at the back of our minds. It is inevitable. It is something that will eventually happen. It might be in your ripe old age when you've accomplished everything you want to in life. It might also be very sudden, untimely, unexpected. No one knows how their lives will end but it will someday.

YOLO
You Only Live Once or you have only one life as I like to put it.
YOLO so do you live it each day as if it were your last?
YOLO so how are you going to be remembered?
YOLO so are you happy with where you are now? If not, is it too late to change that path?
YOLO so have you let all your loved ones know that you love them?

If you've gotten this far in this post, I bet you feel like this.

Haha I would do this to me if I said YOLO again. Ooops!!!

How do you make the most of your time?
Who are you?
Where are you coming from?
Where are you going?
What is your purpose?
Just something to think about.