Sunday, 22 June 2014

The problem with working with people


Last week was the most stressful week I have ever had since I started working. I work in a nursing home as a general assistant. I assist in the kitchen, laundry and I also carry out domestic duties.Working with people can be very rewarding but it also can be very frustrating. This is because in every environment you find yourself in, there will always be some people who will knowingly or unknowingly try to take away your will to live.

These past few months, I have been able to form some special relationships and I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know so many lovely people. The kind of people who make you smile every time you speak to them. However, there are others who try so hard to make life difficult. So sometimes I get to experience situations like these;

  • A resident complaining about a stolen banana just to draw attention to himself. 
Resident: Someone stole my banana. Did you see it?
Me: Someone stole your banana?
Resident: Yes it was on this table and someone stole it. 
Me: *Looks in the bin and finds a banana peel. Picks it up and shows it to him* 
This is your banana. You ate it. No one stole it.
Resident: Well I sure don't remember doing that.
Me: Hmmmmmm 


  • A resident trying to stop me from using the the vacuum cleaner for no reason.
Resident: *Points finger at me* No! No! No! Stop doing that! Stop it!!!
Me: I really need to do this now. Could you please wait in the lounge? I'll come get you when I'm done.
Resident: No!! Stop it now. Shut up and get out!!!

Me:*Tries to keep calm*

It is either that or she'll try to steal take away the sign that says "Caution. Wet floor" and then pull down her trousers and start peeing in the hallway. Guess who's gonna have to clean that up? Moi of course. I try to get a carer to take her away every time and I think she hates me now so whenever I see her, I say a little prayer coz honestly, I'm scared of what she might do to me. 
I do consider the fact that some of these people are suffering from dementia and that sometimes they can't really be blamed for their actions but I can't help but think that some of them do what they do intentionally. 

  • A relative trying to get me in trouble with the manager.
Relative: Make sure you always take everything on the side of the table. It's rubbish.
Me: Got it.

*TWO DAYS LATER*

Relative: Where are the magazines that were on the table yesterday?
Me: I threw them away.
Relative: Why would you do that?
Me:  Eeerm because you said I should always take everything on the side of the table coz they were rubbish.
Relative: I didn't ask you to take the magazines. They weren't ready to be thrown away. You have to go find them wherever you put them.
Me: I'm sorry but I threw them away yesterday and the bins have already been emptied.
Relative: Go get them now or I will have to tell your manager about the terrible job you have been doing.

At this point, I'm thinking "Seriously woman? You want me to go rummage through bins to find magazines you don't even need just coz you weren't the one who asked me to throw them away? Who does that?"
I'm sorry but I do think putting rubbish IN the bin in the first place would save everyone the stress. It's just absolutely ridiculous.

Fortunately for me, the manager understood the situation and I didn't have to do that at all. I learnt my lesson anyway. I ain't taking anything if it's not in the bin.

  • A few weeks ago, I witnessed one of the carers being harassed by a relative because the resident had tried to fake an incident. This resident was perfectly fine and she had asked to use the toilet so the carer was taking her to the toilet on a wheelchair. As soon as she was told that someone had come to visit her, she started screaming at the top of her voice "Help me, she's trying to kill me. Somebody help me please". Then the relative immediately started shouting at the poor carer who had done absolutely nothing wrong.

You can't really get rid of these people. They won't go away. They'll always be there. You learn to live with them. Experiences teach you, build you and make you a better person. So I tell myself  "I have a goal. I am rising above. They can try but they won't bring me down coz what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger"