Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Review: Medify UKCAT

N.B: All opinions provided here are 100% my own and are only based on my personal experiences with Medify.

Hi guys,

I got the Medify one month subscription a few weeks ago for £35 and I have been doing the practice tests and I thought I would write about my experience with Medify and how I'm finding it.

I do love the fact that it has got so much information about the UKCAT as well as over 50 tips to help with revision and how to tackle the questions.
It has a good number of questions for each type of question that comes in the UKCAT.
Question formats are the same as those in the actual exam.

When I started doing the practice tests, the questions were not timed. And so I did do a significant number of VR questions using a personal timer. They however updated it later on and introduced a timer. There is no time limit but the timer helps you see how long you spend on each question. When reviewing the questions, you can see how many people have answered a particular question and what percentage of these people chose what answer. It also shows you the average amount of time spent on each question. There is a Practice Analysis section where you can see how good you've been doing in the practice tests and particular what areas you need to improve on.

Verbal Reasoning:
  • The length of the passages are reasonable and it contains both T/F/CT questions and the comprehension questions. When I started going through the questions, there were 80 sets of the T/F/CT questions and only 13 sets of the new style questions (comprehension) but they updated it and it now has 26 sets of the comprehension questions. I would have preferred for there to be more of the new style questions as they form a majority of the questions in the real exam. However, half bread is better than none so I can't really complain.
Quantitative Reasoning:
  • I didn't have any problems with the questions in this section but I struggled a bit with the onscreen calculator at the beginning. It was difficult to use the keyboard at first to input numbers on the calculator and I didn't like the fact that I had to press the "ON/C" button every single time the calculator was open and I wanted to input something new. However, I found out that the more I used it, the better I got at using it. The online calculator has now been updated in line with the UKCAT calculator and it will probably be easier to use the keyboard shortcuts now.
Abstract Reasoning:
  • I loved the fact that this section has so many questions which I found really helpful as I honestly feel the only way to get better at Abstract Reasoning is by practising. The questions included both the "Set A, B or Neither" type questions and the "Complete the series" type questions. For majority of the questions, I was able to spot at least one of the patterns but there were a few for which I had to guess.
Decision Analysis:
  • I found the DA questions pretty basic and not necessarily harder or easier than those from the other resources. I would have preferred for there to be more than one code rather than having just one code for all the questions that were available. I also didn't like the fact that some of the questions were repeated. Overall, this section was fine for me.
Situational Judgement:
  • There's really not much I can say about the SJT section really as it tends to be pretty much the same for all the resources. It's more about common sense and making sure the patient comes first in every situation.
Final thoughts:

Even though I did encounter a few problems at the beginning, overall, I think Medify is an amazing source for UKCAT practice. Of course I can't comment on the difficulty of the Medify questions compared to those of the actual test until I take the test but based on what I've experienced so far, I would very much recommend Medify as it is really good for practice and practice is what you really need when preparing for the UKCAT.