Friday, 24 April 2015

Medicine Application: Dealing With Rejection And Moving On

***Warning: Text Heavy Post***

Hello lovely people,
This is probably going to be the last post under this series "Medicine Application" here on my blog for a while because I know most of you know now that my medicine journey has now come to a pause. You can see my full medicine story in one of the top bars. 

The past two years have been really hard for me and I have struggled a lot especially when it came to deciding about my future or what to do next. I am not one of those people who have always wanted to do medicine right from a young age. My dreams and aspirations have changed with time but the experiences I have had over the past few years have made me come to the realisation that medicine is really what I would love to do.

I finished my A Levels back in 2013 and at that time I had applied for medicine for the very first time and my application was pretty rubbish and so I got all four pre-interview rejections. I took these rejections very well and I was very happy to reapply and by December 2013, I had gotten an interview invite from SGUL-my first choice. After the interview, I was placed on the waiting list and four months later, I was rejected again. I still remember the day I got that email. Rejection sucks real bad.The reason I decided to try a third time was because I thought if only I could get an interview, then I would be able to prepare better for it as I had an idea of what it was like. But this time around, I didn't even meet the admissions test requirements and so I was rejected again.

I don't think anyone likes to be or feel rejected. Not only regarding uni applications- but rejection from friends, family or even loved ones. It brings about discouragement and then you start doubting your abilities, you isolate yourself from others and next thing, you give up. But that should not be the case. How then can we deal with rejection?
I drew a couple of points from this video on YouTube and I thought I would share with you guys.
  • Know Your Worth: 
Know your abilities. Do not sell yourself short. Just because you get rejected, does not mean you are not good enough.
  • One Mistake Does Not Define You:
Everybody makes mistakes. We're only humans. Things happen. Give yourself some credit. Your mistakes can never tell who you are or how hard you have worked. So don't dwell on them, Learn from them and use them as a stepping stone to the next chapter of your life.
  • Nobody Can Quantify Your Worth:
Numbers can never define how good you are. For example, just because you get a low score in an admissions test does not necessarily mean that you are not going to be a good doctor. 
  • Be Realistic:
Make realistic choices. Take a step back. Think about it over and over again. 
  • Continue to take chances:
Keep making use of the opportunities presented to you. Do not let them pass you by without taking a chance. What have you got to lose?
  • Remember God's Plan:
I know this might not be for everybody, but for those who are into this, I think it is very important to remember that God has a plan for our lives. And sometimes you get rejected because God has something much better planned for you or maybe He just want you to wait a little longer. 
It is a plan that will favour you, but you need to be patient to see how God will make a way for you.


  • Keep The Faith And Continue To Believe:
A little positivity never hurts. Keep believing that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

  • Surround Yourself With Positive Things:
Eliminate negative things from your life. All those things that make you doubt your abilities or make you feel worthless. Surround yourself with people/things who believe in you and support you and want the best for you.
  • Be Grateful:
Last but not the least, you need to be grateful in order to move on. Everything happens for a reason. We never see it right away but soon we will. There is always a reason to be grateful so count your blessings.


And so I am going to be taking a break from medicine and all the stress that comes with it. I am content with where I am now and I don't have any regrets. I see the whole situation like "losing a battle" but I believe the war is not over yet. We'll see what the future has in store for me.

Thanks for reading guys.
Have a lovely day.