Wednesday, 27 May 2015

My First Book Review: A Part Of Me



Author: Anouska Knight
Series: N/A
Published: 20 June 2014
Genres: Romance
Pages: 464
Format: Paperback
Source: Gift

This book was given to me by the lovely Megan who blogs over at www.lazythoughts.co.uk. It was part of the many gorgeous things she sent to me in a Spring Gift Swap we did a few weeks ago. The author of the book Anouska Knight, was the winner of ITV Lorraine's Racy Reads in 2013 and this is the second book she has written. I haven't had the chance to read her first book-Since You've Been Gone but I thought I would give this a go and if I enjoyed it, I would get the other book. After reading the synopsis at the back and reviews of this book online, I was really looking forward to reading it. This is my very first book review guys so please bear with me.

A Part Of Me follows the story of a young woman- Amy Alwood who has gone through a very traumatic past which she is still trying to recover from. She and her partner of 8 years- James Coffrey are so close to fulfilling their or her dream of adopting a child and having a family. But then she discovers a very heartbreaking secret about James which completely changes the whole picture and Amy is faced with a very difficult decision. She uses her work to try and distract herself but the situation becomes even more complicated when another man (Rohan Bywater) walks into her life. The only words she uses to describe him are words she doesn't like but still, she can't stop thinking about him. The only thing is, Rohan Bywater has made it clear that he never wants to have kids. So will Amy follow her heart and forget about her dream of having a family or will she keep living a lie and face the consequences?

When I started reading the book, it took me a while to grasp the plot but after a couple of pages, I was able to get into it. There were times I thought I knew where the story was going but then the turn out of events proved me wrong and I loved this about the book. 

My two favourite characters were Phil and Rohan Bywater. Phil isn't your average best friend. She shows her love and affection in a unique way. She has a big personality and isn't afraid to let you know what she thinks.
Rohan on the other hand is a very unpredictable guy. He lives for the moment, is not afraid to take the plunge but he is afraid of commitment. 

My least favourite character was James. I found him really annoying most of the time and I just could not connect with him or his story. Maybe because there wasn't really much information about him in the book.

A Part Of Me addresses some of the struggles some women have to go through especially when it comes to having children, adoption and how very exhausting and tiring the whole process is. It also portrays the fact that life can be ironical sometimes. Each and everyone of us go though our own battles and what someone might despise so much could be the very thing that someone else wants so badly. So we need to be grateful for the things we have.This book taught me that sometimes in life, we may set our hearts on a certain path but things happen and we find ourselves on a different course even though we don't want to go down this course. This doesn't necessarily mean we are a failure. Sometimes we are still winning but we don't always see it that way. Those are the words from Rohan Bywater himself :)

I really enjoyed this book overall. I thought it was a good read and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something fun, heartwarming, and a little bit of romance. 

Hope you enjoyed my very first book review.
Thanks for reading.