Sunday, 12 July 2015

My Week #28 (2015)

Handover Sleep, Types Of Doctors, Escaping Patients, New Hairstyle And Bible Verse Canvas Art

My Week #28 in my Filofax

Wall art in the hospital cafeteria/ Beautiful morning/ vegetable curry and rice for lunch at work/ At the Works. The Works and Poundland are my new favourite craft and stationery shops. Seriously guys, they sell really good stuff./ Salad bowl/ My neighbour's cute dog. She was sun bathing :)

Bible Verse Of The Week:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God"
Philippians 4:6

A lot of interesting things happened to me this week. First of all, I got a new hairstyle but I will show you guys pictures of my new hairstyle next week.
Another new thing I tried this week was drawing on canvas. I really do love canvas art and I thought I might test it out myself. I don't have any paint so I just used what I had and below is a picture of my first ever art on stretched canvas.

I listed this item on my etsy shop. If you are interested, check it out here.
I have decided to test out acrylic painting and I am really excited to see what I will be able to come up with.

It's only a few weeks left till I take a break from my job at the hospital and for the 9 months that I have been working at the hospital, I have experienced so many events worth sharing but I have forgotten about most of these. So since this blog is kind of like my online diary as I keep a record of what happens in my life every week, I thought I might share some of my experiences with you guys. I know I do mention stuff that happens once in a while but I would want to be able to look back in future and remember all these interesting things that happened. Before anything else, I would like to that these stories are based on true life experiences, but for the sake of confidentiality and anonymity of persons involved, I will change any identifying details of the events. 

I have noticed that I have been feeling sleepy a lot during handover for the past couple of weeks and I don't know why but I think my body is tired of all the early mornings and long hours so I'm glad I only have a couple of weeks left before I leave.

We often get confused patients on the ward who try to wander about and these are the most difficult patients to deal with. But when the patient can move about in a wheelchair, it can be hard to keep them contained. One of our patients who normally moves around the ward in a wheelchair on their own was found on 2 occasions out of the ward. First- next to the road in front of the hospital watching traffic go by and second- in another ward close to ours. Fortunately, one of the hcas kindly brought the patient back to us haha. 

Another thing I noticed this week was the fact that there are different types of doctors. For my time on the ward, I have seen so many doctors come and go- F1s, SHOs, Registrars, Consultants etc. One of the qualities I have admired most in some of these doctors is humility. Those who are down to earth. Those who are ready to come right down to a patient's level and offer to hold their hand just to reassure them and even doctors who would help a patient put on their clothes and take them for an x-ray themselves. I'm not saying all doctors have to do all this stuff- I'm jut saying that for me, I think humility is a very admirable quality and it is a good thing to experience this.
Another quality I have come to admire in doctors is good communication skills. I am not going to lie- not all doctors have people skills. I have seen many situations where nurses will have to reexplain to the patients what the doctors said just because the doctors used very ambiguous terms. I think good communication skills between patients and doctors and also between doctors and other members of the team will make things more efficient.

Sorry about the really wordy post today guys.
If you read every single word of my babbling, then you are a darling.
Hope you guys had a lovely week.
Thanks ever so much for stopping by.