Wednesday, 16 September 2015

My Thoughts About Starting University


Hello everyone,

You may have noticed that as part of my university series, I had asked student bloggers to share their university experiences with us and we did get some very informative and useful guest posts from them. If you want to read these posts, click here.

So you all heard from JennyHannahMegan and Sam about their university/college experiences but today, I am going to be talking about Joanny's thoughts about starting university.
As some of you may already know, I will be moving to London this Saturday and so this will be my last post from home for a while. So here are my thoughts about starting university.
  • Living Away From Home:
This wouldn't be the first time I have lived away from my family as I did go to boarding school back in Cameroon for five years. The only difference is that I will be totally independent this time- cooking my own food, fending for myself with no one to make me do stuff. This has it's advantages and disadvantages. There will be no one to push me so I will have to motivate myself to meet my goals. I already know I am going to miss my family a lot. There is no doubt about that. I am probably going to cry but I'm sure I'll get it all together after a few days when I've gotten used to the environment and met a few people.
  • Getting Back Into The Swing Of Things:
This might be particular to me because I have taken two years out but I just feel that after spending two years at home, I might struggle a bit trying to get my mojo back. I have heard loads of people say that taking a year out between college and uni might not be such a good idea- not to talk of two years out. I am hoping that this does not affect me too much and that I will be able to get back into the swing of things and slowly warm up to it.
  • Academic Workload:
This is another thing that I constantly think about. At St George's, first year counts for 10% of my overall degree but this is not the case with most universities. I know we are going to be bombarded with lots and lots of in depth information and I will have to be super organised. This is where the planner addict and stationery obsessive side of me is supposed to shine as I will try the best as I can to be super organised so I can make the most out of my lectures. I have been thinking a lot about how I am going to organise my lecture notes, anatomy notes, practicals, handouts, essays and all that stuff. I guess all I can do is find a system that suits me best when I get there.
  • Making Friends:
I bet this is one thing that almost every fresher thinks about. Making friends. I am not the kind of person who likes hanging out with massive groups of people. I don't mind having a single friend or two. I feel the bond is stronger in a smaller group but each to their own. I'm very excited about meeting new people. I plan on joining the uni's Christian Union and also the Choir. I used to sing in my college Choir so I'm very excited about this.
  • My Blog:
I have been blogging for well over a year now and I absolutely love it. It has become a huge part of me and so I don't want my university life to affect my blogging. I have seen so many bloggers combine their busy uni schedule and regular blog posts and I wonder how they do it. Of course they have got to be really organised to be able to manage that. I don't want to put any pressure on myself and so in order to get used to things, I might not post as regularly as I do now but I will definitely not miss out my Sunday "My Week" posts. So you guys will still be able to see how I am doing at uni because I will definitely be sharing my experiences with you especially during fresher's fortnight. I have loads of posts planned for the future so don't you all worry. :)
  • Not Losing Myself:
I know university is going to be a whole new phase in my life filled with different people and new experiences. In order to be able to adapt to these new changes, I know I will have to get out of my comfort zone and try new things but I don't want to lose myself. As in if I change, I want to change for the better and not for the worst. I want to be able to gain the skills to face life as a strong, mature, independent woman, but I don't want to lose my virtues or change in order to please others. I know that so many people who go to university get too excited about the fact they are "free" and end up making terrible mistakes. I want my experience to be a positive one. A one that will empower me and one that will help me get closer and closer to my destination and not away from it.

I thought I'd share this song with you all because it is the best representation of how I feel now.


I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly though it's not easy to tell you goodbye I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change and break away.

Out of the darkness and into the sun, but I won't forget the place I come from, I'm gonna take a risk, take a chance, make a change and break away.

I am excited about this uni thing guys. Loads of people have gone through it and I know I can too. I am happy to have met all you lovely people during my journey and I am so looking forward to the future. Thanks for all your support and thanks ever so much for reading.
God bless.