Friday, 5 February 2016

University: Staying Informed About Current Events And Dealing With FOMO




Hello everyone,
I have a bit of a different kind of post today but I felt it might be a very important one to share.
As some of you may know I am a first year at university and one of the things most students struggle with while at uni is keeping up with current events going on around them especially if it is in a city like London- where there is so much to do, but also very easy to miss out.
I have a lived in small towns for most of my life and experiencing life in the big city is very new to me. It was one of the reasons I chose London in the first place. In order to get the most out of your town/city, here's a couple of ways which might help keep up to date with things happening around us.


Friends And Other Students:
I don't know about anyone else but at uni, I have come to realise that you are most likely going to get a lot of information from your friends and also students around. My uni is a very small one and so information travels really fast especially about upcoming SU events at uni. So it is sometimes helpful to ask around.

Social Media Platforms:
Another very useful place to get information about current events is social media platforms. Before coming to uni, I joined the Student Union Facebook group and also lots of other groups that keep us up to date with any upcoming events. Last term, my friends and I went to an African event in Trafalgar Square which was really fun. I found out about this event on Facebook. I don't use Twitter very often but you can also follow pages on there that will let you know about any events happening at your uni and your city.

Newspapers:
I don't know about you guys but I do love reading newspapers especially when I am on the train. Some of my friends make fun of me for doing this but I don't see anything wrong with keeping up to date with news. If you like reading papers like me, there are social corners on there with a list of upcoming in your city where you can have a look at.

Websites:
Finally, there are lots of very useful websites out there that help everyone know about current events happening around. I recently found out about a website called Eventbrite which is really useful. You can find a whole list of events going on in around your town or city by simply typing in your location.  I recently found out through this website there is going to be a Hillsong Conference here in London in July. Another exciting thing about Eventbrite is you can create your own event, advertise and sell tickets for your event on there. You can find the link to their sell tickets page.


So I decided to also write a bit about this condition I recently found out about. It's called FOMO which means the Fear Of Missing Out. If you have never heard about it before then a definition I found online is "anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening somewhere and that you may be missing out. This is often aroused by posts seen on social media"
This may sound a bit ridiculous but it is a very real problem in this First World we live in. This feeling has been said to be more prevalent among people of ages between 16 and 35. The effects could be as little as totally obsessing about what others are doing all the time or could even lead to severe depression.
It probably could more complicated than it sounds but I came across a few ways that could help deal with FOMO and I thought I'd share.

Accept that you can't have it all:
I think the first step to solving a problem is first of all coming to terms with the fact that there is a problem. In this world, we can't always have everything we want, be everywhere we want to be, go everywhere we want to go, or even do all the things we want to do. It's just the way life is and it is sadly something we need to come to terms with- that we will most definitely miss out on some things.

Ask yourself important questions:
Everything has it's good and bad sides and social media is not excluded. Our dependency on social media can be something that builds us or slowly destroys us. Social media is very deceitful and some people sometimes only show the good sides of things when it's really not how things are going down. There are some important questions we sometimes need to ask ourselves. Do I really want to go out now? Do I really want to stay out this late? Is this going to be of any help to me? Would I rather go out or stay home and read a book or watch tv with my family?

Be grateful and enjoy the present:
It is true that we can't always have it all but it also important to be grateful for what you have and what you have been able to do. Be grateful about your loved ones and family around you who love you. Quality is always more important than quantity and I feel this applies to making memories too.

You can find a few other useful articles I found about FOMO here and here.
How do you stay up to date with current events in your town/city? Have you ever heard of FOMO before?
Please do let me know in the comments below.
Thanks ever so much for reading.
God bless.