Sunday, 14 February 2016

My Week #6 In Review (2016)

Start Of Tooting Show Rehearsals, Visit To Richmond Park, Start Of Semester 2 Lectures And Teddy Bear Hospital National Conference + Junior Doctors Contract.


Week 6 in my Filofax

Watching 24 hours in A&E/ Waiting for the bus, Richmond Park/ Enjoying the sunset/ Walk in the park/ Talk from Dr Rhys Beynon of 24 hours in A&E


Monday:
I came back to London after spending the weekend at home. It was a very short break but it was good. I would have come a bit later but Tooting Show rehearsals also started so I had to come back.

Tuesday:
My friends and I wanted to do something fun before the start of Semester 2 and so we visited Richmond Park and came across wild deer. The scenery was really beautiful and we had a little picnic in the park which was also nice.

Wednesday:
Lectures started and we had a few introductory lectures and then we were given new handbooks just to get the ball rolling.

Thursday:
Continuation of lectures and it was very full on. We had three lectures at a stretch and later on that evening, I had two Tooting show dance rehearsals which clashed with my briefing for the TBH national conference and so I had to find a way to make it to all of them.

Friday:
We had another full day of lectures starting at 9 am. In the evening, I didn't have any dance rehearsals but I had Gospel Choir rehearsal in the evening.

Saturday:
It was an early start for me as well because I was volunteering in the Teddy Bear Hospital national conference which SGUL was hosting. We had student from unis all over the country and we even had students from the university of Melbourne in Australia so it was really interesting to see how Teddy Bear Hospital is run not just in the UK but in other countries like Australia. We also had talks from a paediatric consultant as well as a Q&A session with one of the stars of 24 hours in A&E.

Sunday:
Valentine's day is finally here and almost over. Happy Valentine's day everyone. Hope you all had a lovely day.

Junior Doctors Contract:

Now just before ending today's post I just wanted to quickly give my opinion on the ongoing issues. Most of us must have probably heard about junior doctors striking because new unsafe and nonnegotiable contracts are going to be imposed on the them starting August this year. While I am not a medical student or a junior doctor, I have worked in a hospital as a healthcare assistant alongside doctors and other healthcare staff and I understand the value of the work we all put in.
The term "junior doctors" does not only apply to Foundation Year doctors. Every doctor who is not a consultant is a junior doctor and this contract applies to all of them. I have come to realise that the only people who will really understand what junior doctors go through is they themselves who are actually doing the job. So to see that someone from the outside can just so easily try to change everything without heeding to the complains of the doctors is very appalling.
The new contract undervalues the work doctors do as it will only produce tired doctors. Tired doctors make mistake, mistakes kill people and so the whole soceity is going to be affected. You can't try to solve a problem by creating an even bigger one even at the risk of losing all these doctors by making them to leave the NHS and travel abroad or even reconsider their career path altogether.

What do you guys think about the junior doctors contract?
Please do let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading.
God bless :)