Friday, 25 March 2016

University: First Year Biomed Term Two Review


Hello everyone,

Today's post is going to be a bit of a review of my second term at university. I love doing posts like these because it helps me reflect on how my term went and also to share the memories. If you would like to read about how I found my first term at uni, click here.
The term was a very busy one I have to admit but I tried to summarise everything that happened with the pictures below.

Outing with my friends where we met up for the first time after talking for 2 years./ Revision session for semester 1 exams/ My first ever boat party on the River Thames/ Trying to memorise the 12 cranial nerves for my semester 1 OSPE exam/ Visit to Richmond Park/ My very first attempt at making puff puff/ / Start of Semester 2- Electrophoresis lab practical/ At Richmond park/ Watching war room after exams/ Desert at Giraffe restaurant in Central London/ Quessadillas in Giraffe/ Gospel Choir t shirts and singing at SKIP Show/ Tooting Show 2016/ Teddy Bear Hospital National Conference- the amazing Dr Rhys Beynon/ My first Ceilidh dance.

End of Semester 1:
Semester 1 continued on the 6th of January but I came back a few days earlier to mentally prepare myself for another 3 weeks or so of lectures before exams. We all complained about the fact that we still had to learn 3 weeks worth of information for our exams but there was nothing we could do about it really. Semester one finally came to an end and I was happy that I didn't have to keep learning new stuff for the exams but at the same time I was terrified because that meant that the exams were very near.

Semester 1 Exams:
We had about a week between the end of lectures and our first exams. At first I thought one week would not be enough but then my week was repetitive and I absorbed so much information I was tired of studying. It came to a point where I just really wanted to get the exam over and done with. Our first exam was on the 2nd of February and it was formative so it didn't really count. It was our Anatomy exam and I thought it was really intense. The exam format was different but I tried not to worry about it too much as it was only formative.
Our written exam was on the 4th. On the morning of the exam, there were minor issues with the people delivering tables, chairs and arranging the hall and so the exam started late. After the exam I had mixed feelings about it. There were times I felt some bits went well but then after hearing discussions from others, I would just feel a bit discouraged. I have learnt to always believe in my abilities and not to get involved in post exam discussions because they can be a killer.
I was just really glad that the exams were over. We had a post exam boat party on the River Thames which was amazing and I also got to go home for the weekend.

Start of Semester 2:
We only about a week after the exams and Semester 2 lectures started again. It was nice to have a little break because the lectures started with full intensity. Our Thursdays and Fridays have been packed with 11 lectures on those 2 days every week and then Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are quite chilled. The lectures are also very detailed which is good as it aids understanding but that also means more information to learn. I also have enjoyed the anatomy sessions so far.
Our tutorial format has also changed as the tutorials we have once a week are now linked to one of the lectures we learn during the week which is so much more useful.

Semester 1 Results:
Our results were posted at the end of February and we got them early March. I was really happy when I found out how I did. It was so much better than I had expected. It just goes to show that God does answer prayers indeed and we should always believe in ourselves and not be discouraged by others because hard work always pays off.

Tooting Show:
Tooting Show is a show hosted every year by SGUL to raise money for different charities. The charities this year were for mental health and homeless people. There was dancing, acting and singing and I was 3 dances including the Gospel Choir. It was a lot of hard work as we had intense rehearsals for 4 weeks but the end results were all worth it. The show was amazing and we had over 300 people who came to watch. It was such a lovely thing to be a part of and I miss it now it's over. I can't wait for the next one thought. I just love the fact that the uni has shows like this that gives me an opportunity to do what I love- which is dancing. After all- they say all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

That was my term 2 in a nutshell. I really love uni so far because I have made such amazing friends and I have been able to manage my time and do well in exams as well as get involved in extracurricular activities.
I am grateful to God for making it a success and for giving the strength because I would never have survived without Him.
There's only one more term left and one more set of exams and I will be done with first year. Can you imagine that?

Thanks for stopping by guys.
Please do come back and visit and leave a comment below if you want.
I always reply.
Have a lovely day.
God bless.