Friday, 1 April 2016

Book Review: Chasing Hope


Hello lovely people,

Today I have another book review which I am really excited about sharing.

AuthorsKathryn Cushman
Series: N/A
Published: 2015
Genres: Christian/ Fiction/ Religious and Inspirational
Pages: 
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased on Amazon

I first came across this book when Tshegofatso reviewed it on her blog- Sempiternaladventures last year. Even before she reviewed it, I was captivated by the title and I thought it sounded like a good read. I had no idea what it was going to be about but I did love the sound of "Chasing Hope". When I finally read the review, I was definitely convinced it was a book I would love to read so I went ahead and bought it from Amazon. I was very excited about reading this book and I had very high expectations after all the good things I had heard about it.

Chasing Hope follows the story of Sabrina Rice- a very committed, smart and hard working young woman who from a very young age, was inspired to be an Olympic athlete as well as do missionary work just like her hero- Eric Liddell. Sabrina was so certain this was what God had called her to do until she soon faced a devastating diagnosis when she was seventeen which took away her dream, her scholarship and most importantly, her faith. She believed she had lost everything and that she had misunderstood God's calling and so she decided to choose another path which had nothing to do with running whatsoever. This was until she saw the troublesome Brandy Phillips running away from security one day on campus and she was devastated to see someone be so talented but then use this gift for all the wrong reasons. She was later introduced to the same Brandy Phillips and then she soon found herself in a situation where she had to be a coach and mentor to this same girl in order to save her from going to juvie and ruin her life.

I can't begin to explain how much I loved this book. It really did meet my expectations and it came to the point where I always looked forward to reading it every time. This story inspired me a lot because I found that I was able to relate to it so much as I myself can deeply understand what it feels like to go after a particular dream and be so close but then just lose everything in the end. I can't say that my situation is exactly the same as what Sabrina went through as I don't think I would have had the strength to endure that. But then again, God did say that He would never give us more than we can bear. This book is full of so much hope and it's a great reminder that His thoughts are not our thoughts and neither are His ways. Sabrina used a very brilliant illustration which was the children of Israel leaving Egypt. In one of her journal entries she wrote 
"Seems to me the people of Israel were too quick to look at their circumstances and come to an assumption on what that meant. Thing is, they never knew beforehand how God was planning to work on their behalf" 

I like how it seems like Sabrina is the good person and Brandy- the bad one at the beginning of the story but in the end, you come to realise that they have a lot in common in that they are both victims of circumstances in just very different scenarios. While reading the story, I found out that there were so many important life questions I had to ask myself that were very good food for thought such as "How do you know what God's calling is for your life?" or "Why would He let unfair things happen to us?" or even "Why would He give good gifts to those who are ungrateful or who we think do not deserve it?"

My favourite character in this book besides Sabrina and Brandy was Koen and I would have loved for him to have been mentioned a bit more but that's just me looking for something to complain about. I just loved how genuine he was and how he never gave up on Sabrina even though she did so much to push him away. It just reminded me about how God is towards us even in our times of trials, He never leaves us.

This book is now one of my favourites mainly because I can relate so much to the story and it was a bit emotional at the end too. I would definitely be reading it again as I miss reading it already. It is a must read if you are looking for an inspiring story to remind you about why everything you go through is worth it and how following God can lead you to the most unexpected places.

Hope you enjoyed reading this review.
Let me know if you have read this book. If you have, what did you think of it and if you haven't, will you give it a read?

Thanks for stopping by.
God bless.