Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Blogmas 2016: My Operation Christmas Child Experience


Hello lovely people,
To kick start my little attempt at "blogmas" this year, I have decided to get the ball rolling with this post I have been wanting to share with you guys. I mentioned a while ago that I got involved in this charity known as Operation Christmas Child and I thought it would be great to share my experience with you guys.

What is Operation Christmas Child?
This is a charity run by an organisation known an Samaritan's Purse. This is an evangelical Christian humanitarian aid organisation that provides aid to people in physical need as a key part of Christian missionary work. The aim of the charity is basically to pack shoe boxes with gifts and to send them off to children all over the world so they can get it by Christmas. You could pack as many shoe boxes as you want and also fill it with as many gifts as you want. The gifts do not have to be expensive but just basic necessities for the children like toiletries and sanitary items, toys, sweets, clothes and other stuff. You can choose to either pack a shoe box for a girl or a boy and all the resources needed can be found on the website.

Why did I decide to do it?
I have always wanted to be actively involved in charities and so a while ago, I was looking at some charities that I could get involved in over Christmas and that is how I stumbled upon Operation Christmas Child. After watching a viral video on Facebook and saw the happy faces of all the children receiving their shoe boxes, I was totally hooked and knew that I really wanted to get involved. 
Growing up in Cameroon- West Africa, I can say that I know what it feels like to not have much to live by everyday but God has been faithful to my family and I over the past years and all I want to do is help others as much as I can. The fact that his charity is also another way of sharing the gospel of Christ was also one of my motivations for getting involved. I think it is a wonderful way of spreading the gospel of love to these children so that they know they never alone no matter the situations they face and that God still loves and cares about them.

My Experience
This was my first time packing a shoe box so I was very excited about this. I decided to pack for a girl 10-14 years of age just because I felt like packing for an older child and I find it easier to buy gifts for girls. I got a shoe box from shoezone and I wrapped it with Christmas wrapping paper then I I bought the items from Card factory, Poundland and Wilko. If you want to see all the items I bought then you can watch the YouTube video below.


I also took some time out to pray for the child receiving the gift that it will bless their lives and that God will encourage them and comfort them and also be with them in all their endeavours. It was such a rewarding experience for me and I am so glad I decided to take part in this. I will definitely be doing this again next year and maybe I will pack another shoe box for a boy as well. 

If you want to know more about this charity, how to pack a shoe box, more ideas on what to include, how to get labels and other resources, then visit their website here.

Have you ever heard about this charity? 
If so have you ever been involved?
If not, will you want to get involved in the future?
Please do let me know in the comments below :)
Thanks ever so much for watching,
God bless :)