Friday, 6 January 2017

My Daniel Fast Experience



Hello lovely people,
I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I was doing the Daniel Fast for 12 days and in this post I will be talking about my experience. Fasting is something that hardly ever crosses my mind just because I love food and it is hard for me to live up to the idea of staying away from food. I have been involved in fasts before and I took part in a 50 day fast at the beginning of this year which was the first real fast I have ever completed from beginning to end. 

So considering the fact that I am not really fond of the idea of fasting, you might be wondering why I decided to do the Daniel Fast then? Well that is because there are different types of fasting and Daniel Fast is one which does not involve giving up food entirely but only giving up certain types of food and the amount of food or time for eating was not restricted. The most important reason why I decided to fast was because I wanted to pray. There area lot of issues going on around me that I just wanted to dedicate myself to prayer and to ask God for direction. I just wanted to be able to learn how to discipline myself more and I wanted a fresh start. Now how did this experience help me I hear you ask? Well keep on reading :)
Reading God's Word and communicating with Him:

I loved my Daniel Fast experience because it helped me to become more committed to my devotional time and to spend more time in God's presence. I loved every minute of praising, worshiping and just talking to God during my quiet time. It's not that I haven't been doing this before but that because I was doing the fast, I made myself more committed to this.

Reading more of His Word just helps me to know more about my creator, His character, His love, His grace and mercies, His blessings, His Son- Jesus and to feel His comfort and promises that He is always there with us every step of the way.

Hearing from God:

The thing  I love about talking to God is that He always listens to us and He answers in many different ways. I have to say that during this 12 days, God proved Himself to me in so many different ways regarding some of the situations I was praying about. Times like this build my faith and makes me confident in the fact that God is walking right beside me and He never leaves. God speaks to us in different ways, sometimes a lot clearer than other but we just need to be in line with the Holy Spirit so we can hear Him. I am reading a few books about how to hear from God because I think it is important for every Christian to be able to discern God's will in our lives.

Leading a healthy lifestyle:

One of the other benefits that comes with doing the Daniel Fast is that all the foods that are encouraged are healthy. From vegetables and fruits to whole grain foods and fibre are all the foods that are encouraged during this Fast. One thing that I have noticed is that even after ending my fast, I was still drawn to healthy foods as I discovered so many good healthy recipes that do taste really good. This experience taught me a lot about patience and to be able to discipline myself more to resist unhealthy foods. There were a lot of times I came really close to just eating what I wanted like when I went to Nando's with my friends. I really do love chicken but I had to end up ordering just a Quinoa salad with sweet potatoes and no cheese. It wasn't the best salad I had every had but it was healthy and I'm glad I didn't give in to the chicken.

In all, I would say that I really enjoyed my Daniel Fast and my advice for anyone wanting to do it would be to read up on it and know exactly what you are getting yourself into. There are quite a few things you will have to give up but there are so many food lists out there with different variations so just find and stick to one. Also, prepare ahead of time by buying the things you need and planning your recipes for the whole week so you know exactly what you are going to eat. There are a lot of recipes online so you can try some of them and you might end up liking the foods like I did. 

Most importantly, it is important to establish the reason why you want to do the fast and what you are hoping to get out of it and make it your primary objective to get closer to God and to seek Him in prayer and by reading His Word. It is not a fast if you are not praying- that would just be eating healthy. You can find more about the Daniel Fast here. 

Have you ever heard about the Daniel Fast?
If yes, have you ever done one?
If no, do you think you would like to try it out?
Please let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading
God bless :)