Wednesday, 4 January 2017

My Natural Hair Journey #4: 18 Months Post Relaxer

Hello lovely people,

I can't believe it's been 6 months since I last updated you guys about my natural hair journey. I can now gladly say that I have now been growing out my natural hair for over 18 months. It has been such a journey and I have learnt so much about my hair over the last 18 months that I can't wait to be fully natural.
Just for a brief reminder, I started transitioning to natural hair in June 2015 and what this means is that I am growing out my naturally curly hair and gradually cutting off my chemically straightened hair. You can read updates of my journey from my previous posts here.

Displaying IMG_1011.PNG
This photo was taking during my most recent wash day. I had just finished detangling my hair and because  don't really use the comb as much anymore, I have realised that I don't lose as much hair anymore when I detangle.

Displaying IMG_1004.PNG
This photo just shows you guys the two different textures I have been dealing with. You can see the natural hair from the bottom is a lot thicker and coilier than the straight relaxed hair at the top. This photo was taken after washing out the shampoo. I just use cantu shea butter moisturising shampoo and I also use hair mayonnaise as a deep conditioner. My hair really loves these two products especially the deep conditioner. My hair is always left feeling really soft and moisturised.

Displaying IMG_1005.PNG
This photo just shows the difference in a bit more detail from a smaller section of hair. The length of natural hair in this section from the top of my head is well over 7 inches long.

Displaying IMG_1006.PNG
Taking a closer look at this section, you can see my kinky coils which I am massively in love with. Obviously I can't determine my true curl pattern now as I still have my relaxed ends but I love what I am seeing already. My curl pattern is not the same all over my head but I guess I will only know for sure after I do the big chop.

Displaying IMG_1061.JPG
Finally this is a photo showing you my little afro. This was the first time I had ever seen my afro so my face was in shock haha. I am going to start using cantu shea butter leave-in conditioner and I also use regular pink oil as my moisturiser and coconut oil to seal. These products have been working really well for me so far.
I can't wait to see how big my fro will be in a few months. I'm so excited that I have even decided when I will do the chop.
My initial plan was to transition for 24 months and then big chop in June 2017 which would be 2 years for me but since my birthday is in May, I have decided to big chop for my birthday. So I have only got a few more months to go before I can fully unleash my natural kinks and coils. This means that I might do another update post when I get to 21 months in March or the next time I do a post would be after my big chop. Either way, I am super excited and can't wait to see what the lies ahead for me.

Anyone else transitioning to natural hair?
How has your journey been so far?
Or you going to big chop or do a long term transition?
Please do let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading and God bless :)